Monday, August 10, 2026

Early morning skies are overcast with temperatures in the upper 60’s and a slight southerly breeze as I stand on Madison Rd. and look north at a portion of Sugar Creek whose channel had been straightened and incorporated into the county drain system to prevent flooding of cropland. The first thing I notice is how narrow the strip of vegetation is between the creek ditch and the cropland. Wider ones capture more runoff, remove more nutrients, reduce flooding impacts, and support a greater diversity of wildlife. Nearby, I spot a female Clouded Sulfur butterfly perched on a blade of grass. While females have paler yellow wings with lighter spotting, males are bright lemon-yellow with a bold black border around their wings (stock photo).. Up ahead, I come upon a large patch of Chicory blossoms. These blue flowers usually open shortly after sunrise and often close by early afternoon, especially on hot, sunny days. On overcast days like today, they may remain open longer. Before getting back in the car, I pause below a powerline to listen to the lovely song of an Indigo Bunting. Driving a short distance south on Begole Rd., I enter private property to observe the slow moving creek and listen to the continual high-pitch chorus of Katydids. At my feet, I watch what I thought was tiny white moth landing in the underbrush. Upon a closer look, I realize it’s a ¼ inch Flatid Planthopper, a species I’ve never seen before. These tiny insects feed on plant sap using piercing mouthparts, much like aphids and leafhoppers. Their nymphs produce fluffy white wax, making them look like little cottony tufts (stock photo). Overhead, I notice the ripening fruit on a Mulberry tree. More than 40 species of birds—including Robins, Catbirds, Waxwings and Baltimore Orioles—eat mulberries. Mammals such as raccoons, squirrels, foxes, and opossums also enjoy the fruit. For humans, ripe mulberries can be eaten fresh or used in pies, jams, and wines. From here, I drive a short distance south to observe the creek as it slowly flows along the eastside of the parking lot of the Petticoat Junction restaurant. Right away, I spot a drain pipe entering the ditch from the restaurant area, making me wonder about quality of the runoff water. On the opposite bank, I’m surprised to see a small feed lot occupied by a few cows and wonder what happens to their manure.. Finally, I watch the creek water as it passes under M-46 and heads south and east becoming another county drain. Back at my car, I’m reminded that even small creeks deserve our curiosity, our respect, and our care. Every visit deepens my appreciation for this overlooked watercourse. I’m already wondering what discoveries Sugar Creek will offer the next time.

Watercourse

Hidden from view

Gathering runoff

Toxic stew

Polluted water

Human curse

Downstream

Getting worse

Creek’s mouth

End of the line

Merging and mixing

With the River Pine

D. DeGraaf 

No comments:

Post a Comment